Here are some success tips for parents from the Ministry of Education (MoE) to help improve studying and literacy.
- Set up a daily homework routine. Designate a homework area away from distractions like the television and Internet, and with adequate lighting and supplies.
- When it is time for your children to do their homework, reinforce strong study habits by also doing yours: balance your cheque book, pay your bills or immerse yourself in a book.
- Let your children read comic books in their spare time because comics can encourage positive reading habits and can play a role in improving literacy.
- Help your children identify difficult and easy homework tasks and get them to tackle the most difficult subjects first.
- Make yourself available to answer questions and offer help, but do not do your children’s homework for them.
- Ask your children questions and have them explain what they have just read or studied.
- Encourage your children to write stories, poetry and songs.
- Keep an assignment calendar on the fridge for quick reference of due dates, exams and how they fit with other activities.